Democracy Summer is an innovative internship program that exposes young leaders to new ideas and political movements. Their “friendterns” learn how to organize people around a shared vision for a better democracy in the state, address structural barriers to civic engagement and build power alongside historically marginalized groups. This program equips young people with lifelong skills they can use to work for positive social change in their communities.
Every summer, Democracy NC hires a cohort of undergraduate students from NC community colleges, colleges, and universities to work as paid student interns for 9 weeks under the guidance of experienced Democracy NC staff.
- Students work in one of the departments — Organizing, Communications, Research, Development or Operations — to gain valuable skills and experience while fighting for a democracy that works for all.
- Student interns work up to 40 hours per week (including some evenings and weekends) from late May to late July and earn a stipend of $5,000 (taxable) for the summer.
- This is a full-time job, so students taking summer classes or have other, part-time work cannot realistically participate in the program.
- Due to the ongoing pandemic, the 2023 internship will be hybrid, with a mix of remote work and in-person events and meetings.
Apply now! The deadline is Friday, March 31st
- Complete the online application for the department you’re most interested in.
- Send your cover letter and resume to the correct email address noted in the application form.