Our friends at the Sierra Club of Western North Carolina (WENOCA Group) have issued the following update and call for action on the proposed Bluffs at Riverbend development in Woodfin.
You can help fight a major development planned for 92 acres of mature, intact forest adjacent to Richmond Hill Park and the French Broad River. A Florida developer is planning to build 1,545 luxury condos, a large hotel, office space and more. WNC Sierra Club opposes the project as proposed because of concerns about pollution of the river, impacts on Asheville’s Richmond Hill Park and traffic overload on local streets.
We are partnering with Richmond Hill & River Rescue, a local community group that is fighting the proposal.
How you can help
- Write or call the Asheville City Council to urge them to authorize their attorney to seek standing to oppose the Bluffs project; to authorize City staff to assist the attorney in opposing the project; to authorize the attorney to oppose the use of a remote (online) meeting to consider this very significant project. The Asheville City Council can be emailed at: AshevilleNCCouncil@ashevillenc.gov.
- Attend the upcoming Woodfin Town Commission Zoom meeting on Tuesday, February 16th and speak out against the development.
- Contact the Woodfin Town Commission to ask them to oppose annexation of a 10-acre parcel that is key to the Bluffs development. The parcel can be viewed in the Buncombe County Geographic Information System with PIN no. 963969083900000.
- Contact the Woodfin Town Commission and ask them not to proceed with a remote hearing for such an important decision and to use a format that will give the public a fair hearing on this development that will have major, long-term impacts on the community.
Commission members may be called at 828-253-4887 or emailed at:
Planning Director Adrienne Isenhower, firstname.lastname@example.org
Planning Staff Michael Saunders, email@example.com
Woodfin Town Commissioners:
Mayor Jerry Vehaun, firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice-Mayor Debbie Glazentanner, email@example.com
Jackie Bryson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Donald Honeycutt, email@example.com
Donald Hensley, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ronnie Lunsford, email@example.com
Jim Angel, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate to the Richmond Hill & River Rescue GoFundMe page to help cover legal fees and the cost of experts needed to fight this development.
For more information go to Stop the Bluffs at Riverbend.